Who doesn’t love tacos?
Before we moved to Asheville, we were big fans of a local restaurant’s “Taco Thursday.” They ran a taco special that included a vegan-friendly buffalo cauliflower taco, and we’ve been craving it like crazy since we moved last month.
Eventually, we decided to stop whining about it and just make the things ourselves!
The part of creating this recipe that most intimidated us was trying to create a vegan blue cheese dressing. This definitely took some trial and error, but I’m proud to say that we finally created a dressing that was so good we almost ate it all with celery sticks before the cauliflower was even done baking.
For the buffalo cauliflower, we weren’t too concerned with making them extra-crispy and breaded because we were putting them in flour tortilla anyway. So, we opted to lightly coat them in panko-style bread crumbs and they turned out great!
Without worrying about the mess of coating the cauliflower in batter and breading them completely, we found this way of cooking them to be super quick and simple. Perfect for a weeknight dinner!
Let’s get to the recipe….
Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos with Vegan Blue Cheese
Makes 6-8 Tacos
For the Buffalo Cauliflower
- 3 cups cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
- 1/3 cup your favorite vegan buffalo/hot sauce
- 2 tbsp melted vegan butter
- 1/4 cup panko-style breadcrumbs
For the Blue Cheese Dressing
- 3 oz firm tofu
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- The juice of one lemon
- 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp white miso paste
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Pinch of salt – to taste
- 1 green onion, super finely chopped
- An addition 2 tbsp firm tofu, pressed dry and crumbled
Making the Blue Cheese Dressing
- Blend the cashews and water in a high-speed blender until smooth. You may need to add a little bit more water depending on the blender, but you want the cashew cream to be thick.
- Add all of the other ingredients, except the green onion and additional crumbled tofu, to the cashew cream in the blender. Blend until smooth and salt to taste.
- Pour dressing into a bowl and stir in the green onion and crumbled tofu. You can eat this right away but it tastes extra good if you let it sit in the refrigerator while you cook the cauliflower.
Making the Buffalo Cauliflower
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Melt the butter into the hot sauce and stir to combine.
- Pour sauce over the cauliflower florets in a large bowl and stir until all cauliflower is evenly coated.
- Place cauliflower on a baking sheet. Push all florets close together to make it easier to coat in breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle on the breadcrumbs, then spread the cauliflower evenly apart on the cooking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes
- Assemble tacos (we added romaine lettuce and cilantro to flour tortillas heated over the stove!) and enjoy!
Be sure to tag us on Instagram @lezbeancuisine if you try this recipe, and find us on Facebook, Pinterest, and YouTube!